Vyzantion

Internal hard-drives invisible for Catalina

Vyzantion

First thing, this is not about the Niresh Catalina distro, that is not supported in this hardware, that is a legacy hardware. I have already posted on several forums, no clear answer yet, so I try to post in here as well.

I have managed to install a patched version of Mojave (dosdude1 method) on this hardware and ran it fine for about an year:

Asus P5P41TED motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

3 gb ram ddr3

Nvidia GeForce E8500

Two internal hard-drives, a master SATA one, and a slave, ATA one.

On this hardware, the vanilla Catalina installer boots up, but on DiskUtility the internal hard-drives are not visible. After creating an installer on the pen drive using the dosdude1 patch for Catalina, the internal hard-drives are visible, I am able to start the install but, on first boot after install, the OS crashes into a kernel panic, the last line being: ”Still waiting for root device.” Both issues seem similar to some issues present on older macOS versions, but not on this hardware.

On the case of vanilla Catalina, the invisibility of the hard-drives might be solved with some kexts added. I can not find any.

I know there is a new patch called the EC patch, I do not know about yet.

Hackintosh

@Vyzantion Could you post your LSPCI output.

Vyzantion

How can I do that? With IORegistry Explorer? I am kind of lost in it. the LSPCI command from Linux is not present on macOS, and system_profiler or ioreg in Terminal get too much information and it is hard to get it.

Vyzantion

Created two pen drive installation, one based on the RMC patch EFI1), one based on the dosduide1 patch (Efi2). Both use the lastest software versions and I have booted them with F2, to get boot information. On the RMC patched version, like in vanilla Catalina, the internal hard-drves are inviible to DiskUtility. On the dosdude 1 patched version, the intenral hard-drives are visble, but, on first boot after installation,  the OS stops into a kernel panic with |Still waiting for root device|. For a moderator, please move this thread to the Catalian support section. But I can not attach the files. Do I need to upload them into  an online storage location and link them?

Vyzantion

@Hackintosh

On this link there is a IORegistry Explorer file, the EFI partition contents of two pen drive installers, one patched with RMC patch (EFI1) with invisible internal hard-drives, the other of a pen drive patched with the dosdude1 patch (EFI2), that sees the internal hard-drives, but the installation ends up the kernel panic described. On both the f2 test was applied on boot, for information collecting.

https://we.tl/t-uah4I8ZQCa

If more information or files are required, please let me know.

Hackintosh

Can you post screenshot about the kernel panic, Pictures would be easy to debug.

Vyzantion

I was able to install using the dosdude1 patched Catalina, I needed to apply a  patch for Intel IDE controller to escape the Still Waiting for Root Device error. The issue on the vanilla Catalina of invisible internal hard-drives still present.I do not know  what causes it, probably some modified kexts from Mojave to Catalina.