blast9999

Monitoring overclocked cpu temps in Mojave

I'd like to try overclocking my 6600K and Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P mobo and I'm looking at monitoring cpu temps. What is the best way to do this? Is istat menus worth using? will it work with Niresh Mojave on my rig?

If anyone has experience with overclocking and cpu temps please let me know what your experience is, thanks!

@blast9999 Yes by updating FakeSMC.kext and Installing FakeSMC Plugins you could simply monitor temperature with HWMonitor.app

I was able to update and install the kexts and had the sensors working. Then, I updated Clover and after that the machine would not finish loading Mojave and rebooted by itself. 

I did a fresh install, and after loading the fakeSMC kext every time the system would not boot and would restart itself. 

Is there a trick to updating fakeSMC without this happening?

I have not been able to see Hardware monitor working except for the one first time.

@blast9999 First you should replace the FakeSMC.kext, then install Sensor Plugins (kexts) one by one, so you can detect which plugin is causing an error.

When you found out which plugin causing issue boot in safe mode (-X) and remove the kext, so you could boot normally.

Unfortunately I tried a fresh install and then update and install just the cpu temp, plus hardware monitor and still did have the boot problem. There's some conflict I guess.

I've been quickly rebooting and looking at the Gigabyte bios for cpu temps after testing overclocking.

With the 6600K cpu, there are 3 OC options: stock 3.5 GHz, OC 4.2 GHz, 4.3, and 4.4. So far, 4.2 and 4.3 have no problems at all running Mojave but 4.4 caused a couple reboots. Temps have gone from about 37 to about 41 C when over clocked and I'm using a cheap air cooler. Geekbench scores did go up significantly using over clocking even at 4.2 GHz. I also upgraded from 2133 MHz ram to 2933 MHz which made a fair jump in Geekbench scores as well. My poor man's rig made with used parts for a few hundred dollars is outperforming my friend's new 2017 3.5 GHz i5 27" iMac.