mikeguru

MSI MEG Z390 ACE MB and i7-8700K Mojave build and Dual Boot (Win 10 Pro/Mojave 10.14.3) Install

MSI MEG Z390 ACE MB and i7-8700K Mojave build and Dual Boot (Win 10 Pro/Mojave 10.14.3) Install

NOTE: I'm temporarily using a Zotac Nvidia GeForce GT 730 graphics card until I can acquire the Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB GDDR5 GPU. Have to use SOMETHING (graphics card) installed in a PCIe slot, since this MB has NO onboard graphics.

Dual Boot success!

I have successfully installed both Windows 10 Pro and macOS 10.14.3 Mojave on my Custom Build "Ultimate Hackintosh".

NOTE: I have done several "Hackintosh" installs over the years, starting with 10.6.8 Snow Leopard on a Dell Mini-9. Since then, I've installed various versions of OS-X, and my install hardware has included a Dell Mini-10V laptop, Dell 17-3721 laptop, as well as Dell 760 and Dell 780 tower PCs. Many of these have been dual-boot systems running both Windows and OS-X. My latest laptop install is Mojave 10.14.1 on the Dell 17-3721 laptop. (Everything works except the SD card reader).

HARDWARE USED

- MSI MEG Z390 ACE Motherboard (Latest Firmware update applied)

- Intel Core i7-8700K CPU

- CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM (DDR4-3200MHz)

- Samsung 970 EVO 500Gig M.2 NVMe SSD (macOS 10.14.3 Mojave Installed)

- Hitachi 5400 RPM 160Gig 2.5" HDD (Windows 10 Pro Installed) - NOTE: Already had this drive on the shelf

- WD Blue 7200 RPM 2TB 3.5" HDD (Storage) NOTE: Already had this drive on the shelf

- LG WH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Burning Optical Drive NOTE: Already had this drive on the shelf

- EVGA Supernova Gold 750 G3 Fully Modular Power Supply (750 Watts)

- Noctua NH-D15 Dual-Fan (Air) CPU Cooler

- Zotac Nvidia GeForce GT 730 GPU (4Gig VRAM) NOTE: Already had this card on hand, donated by a friend

- nanoTECH PCI USB 3.0 4-Port Hub (Installed in 2X Lane MB Slot) NOTE: Already had this card on hand

- Fractal Design Define R6 Case (White)

- Toshiba 43LF621U19 43” LED - 2160p 4K UHD Smart TV with HDR – Fire TV Edition (Used as a Monitor)

Windows 10 Pro refused to install from a newly created USB 3.0 Flash Drive Installer created using Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool", so I decided to burn it to a DVD instead. Using the DVD-based installer, I was able to install Windows 10 Pro with no issues. (A good reason to have some sort of Optical Drive, internal or external, on hand).

Utilizing "Niresh's" excellent ready-made image for creating a macOS 10.14.1 USB Installer, I was able to successfully install Mojave to the M.2 SSD. Post-install requires the installation of the EFI Bootloader onto the SSD's EFI partition, so I downloaded Clover version v2.4k_r4862 (Latest version as of this writing, 27 Jan 19). After installing Clover and rebooting, virtually EVERYTHING worked. The only thing that does NOT work is Bluetooth/WiFI, and that's due to the current unavailability (?) of the proper Kext to support the MSI MB's built-in Intel Wireless-AC 9560 (1.73Gbps) chip. This MSI MB also comes equipped with Rivet Networks’ Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet chipset which DOES work perfectly. Audio is handled by the Realtek ALC1220 HD chip, and it too works OOB. (It gives me the choice of using the back panel audio out port to connect to my external speakers/subwoofer, or I can select the speakers built-in to the TV/monitor, which outputs audio via the connected HDMI cable).

I downloaded and installed (individually) the Mojave 10.14.2 and 10.14.3 updates with NO ISSUES. For some unknown reason, Software Update did NOT show these updates as being available or needed after the initial install. Nevertheless, once downloaded from Apple's web site, installing them one at a time, rebooting after each install, worked perfectly.

Some might ask, "why use a TV as a computer monitor?". My reason: BANG FOR THE BUCK! Modern 4K UHD PC monitors are EXPENSIVE, especially with a screen size of 43" (diag). This thing works GREAT, and it's working at a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD or 4K). Not bad for only $200! It even has the Amazon Fire TV chip built in, which means I can also use it to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, and listen to Spotify Music through it. Of course, it will never give the same kind of performance for things like premium PC gaming (in Windows), but I'M NOT DOING THAT. In the future, I can increase the overall video performance by upgrading to a "pro-level" GPU board, like the Sapphire AMD Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E Dual HDMI/DVI-D GPU. (This is a Hackintosh compatible GPU).

I still have 2 unused M.2 PCIe slots on this motherboard, and I will eventually replace the 5400 RPM SATA HDD with an M.2 256 Gig NVMe SSD for Windows 10 Pro. Until then, I look forward to using this system as-configured.

In summary, this is a PREMIUM BUILD that was relatively easy to accomplish. I am VERY PLEASED with the result.

NOTE: If you substitute any of the hardware I listed here, YMMV. The Zotac GPU (video card) I am using was donated to me by a friend who I helped to build a similar system (Windows 10 Pro ONLY), with the primary differences between our two systems being the fact that he installed an Nvidia GeForce GT 1080ti GPU, a SATA powered PCIe 4-port USB card, and a 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD in addition to a 256Gig 970 EVO. He plans to do HEAVY DUTY video editing and video post-production work. Hence the need for the expensive top-of-the-line GPU. Of course, like me, he will also use the system for the usual "every day tasks" of e-mail and web browsing, etc. with his system.

Footnote: The Intel Core i7-8700K CPU and Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz RAM are fully capable of being "overclocked", with the CPU having safely been OC'd to 5GHz by numerous builders! The base clock speed of most DDR4 RAM is 2666MHz, but I decided to go with the 3200MHz variety as it too can be "overclocked" to that level of performance. Part of my reason for buying more hardware than I need right now was that I wanted to "future proof" my system for several years. For example, the motherboard is a Z390, which means it can currently support the newest 9th Generation Intel Core i9-9900K 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) CPUs. Right now, they are OMG EXPENSIVE, but like Moore's Law so consistently shows, performance increases and prices drop over time. There is also faster RAM available, but there's no point in spending extra for that right now either. In time, upgrades to many hardware components can be done with little effort. MSI provides FULL USER CONTROL of motherboard Overclocking settings in their excellent BIOS.

WARNING: Messing around with overclocking settings without knowing what you are doing will most likely result in the DESTRUCTION OF THE CPU AND/OR OTHER COMPONENTS!! -- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! -- 

(I suggest you watch a BUNCH of YouTube tutorials FIRST, including the "Cadillac Build" series by YouTube reviewer "Tech Deals", where he delves into what's safe and what is NOT when changing BIOS overclocking settings)