MichaelB

NVIDIA GeForce 6GB GTX 980 Ti Mac Pro 5,1 10.13.4

Question

Long-time PC/Windows guy apparently in over his head on my son's Mac Pro. 

My son does video editing professionally and, as a present,  I've thrown a lot of upgrades in his Mid-2010 5,1 Mac Pro. (SATA III SSD, RAM, USB 3.1, High Sierra). I wanted to upgrade his video card from the ATI Radeon HD 5870. I had done a good amount of research and landed on a NVIDEA GeForce GTX Ti (6gb). I've seen that others run this card on this same hardware. I installed the only NVIDEA driver that I could find and linked from other forums, but it doesn't work.

From what I can tell, I might need to do something at a "Clover" boot menu. Under this nor the ATI card do I see the Apple logo, so I don't thing I have a way to access that. (Again, I'm a Windows guy). Any help with getting this to work would be endlessly appreciated. I think I got a pretty good deal on the card ($350), but am open to selling that and getting an equivalent plug-and-play solution depending on the $$$.

I don't know if it's critical, but the ATI card has two 6-pin auxiliary power connectors. The NVIDEA card has an 8-pin and a 6-pin power inputs. I plugged the two 6-pin power cables into the NVIDEA card.

Specs:
Mac Pro mid-2010 5,1 
32gb RAM
6-Core Intel Xeon 3.33 ghz CPU
OS High Sierra 10.13.4
Video ATI Radeon HD 5870 (1gb) (Current)
Hoped for Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (6gb)
2tb SATAIII SSD (PCIe connected)

Thanks for your help.

5 answers to this question

I had a thought. Can I access the boot menu (and see the Apple boot logo) if I hook up a VGA monitor to the DVI Dual Link output?

@MichaelB Install Lilu.kext and nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Let me know if it works.

Will do. One question though...

I ordered an 8 pin power cable to go from the motherboard to to the card. Do you think that will provide the watts needed? I hear some people use external power for their vid cards.

@MichaelB Probably Yes, in my Hack Power supply had a separate output,  I'm not an expert just saying my opinion.

FYI: I got the 980Ti flashed and it works (with the Apple logo and all). Sadly, Adobe After Effects doesn't recognize it and won't use the GPU for any real work. Indeed it seems to be slightly slower with the "new" card. :-( So much for my "good deal"

I guess that's my bad. I should have done more research I suppose. Maybe I'll sell what I got and find a card specifically supported by Adobe video products. 

This "PC guy in a Mac world" is frustrating for this guy.